This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member. With this visa, you can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia and eligible family members can be included in your application. This is a permanent visa and allows visa-holders to remain in Australia indefinitely with full work rights.
The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa replaced both the offshore Skilled – Independent Subclass 175 visa and the onshore Subclass 885 visa in 2012-2013.
To be able to submit a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through Skill Select. You can do this in or outside Australia.
Applying for the Skilled – Independent Visa (subclass 189)
To be able to lodge a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia.
To apply for this visa you must:
- be invited to apply;
- be younger than 45 years of age when you are invited to apply;
- nominate an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications and is on the relevant Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL);
- have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation;
- have at least competent English;
- score at least 60 on the Points Test; AND
- meet the health and character requirements.